Our Guest Today: Josh Green
Josh Green helps create digital experiences and the organizational change to realize them. What does that mean? In Part 1 (of 2) of my discussion with Josh, he breaks down these concepts and processes for you. He takes a deep-dive into the world of digital strategy, answering questions such as “Why and when was ‘digital’ associated with ‘strategy’?” Josh offers advice for people fresh out of school, as well as experienced professionals who are considering Digital Strategy as a new career path. In Part 2 (of 2) of our conversation, Josh talks about one of his books called Spreadable Media, which analyzes logic that helps understand how content moves around the internet. Josh discuss some fascinating findings that “bond comes in a variety of forms and multitudes of reasons why people share”. Listen in and find out what Justin Bieber has to do with all this…
Part 1 Highlights:
- What is Digital Strategy?
- What type of experience/pre-reqs are necessary for a digital strategist?
- What does it take to become a good one?
- Daily routine on learning, reading and working (stay curious, stay relevant)
- Sneak-peak to Josh’s new project and how you can stay in touch
Part 2 Highlights:
- How Josh started his book Spreadable Media
- Why is it so difficult to determine what good content is before publishing – Josh speaks to many factors involved in solving this complexed problem.
- Big reveal: “The cultural understandings (of people) are more important than scientific propositions” and why
- Case study: what has contributed to Justin Bieber’s success
- The book publishing process – for new authors who are interested in the nitty-gritty, and what you can do if you hate writing (not kidding!)
With a background in consulting and the academy, Josh believes “nothing is as complex as a simple solution” and that “small ball wins”. Josh earned a PhD in Media Studies from MIT and wrote 300+ pages about Dawson’s Creek and Australian television. Josh’s passion for mass transit reveals itself immediately as we kick off this episode.
The best part of all this is that Josh has a serious Australian accent. I hope that alone will make your time well spent.
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave your comment below and share the podcast with your family and friends. Your support will keep me on track and bring many other unsung heroes to this podcast.
Podcasts Josh Listens To:
- Future Tense (Australian programming)
- This American Life
- The Infinite Monkey Cage (physics)
- Background Briefing (invested reporting)
- Serial (spin off of This American Life)
Word Cloud, Keywords and Insights From Podintelligence
What is PodIntelligence?
PodIntelligence is an AI-driven, plus human-supported service to help podcasters, webinar hosts and filmmakers create high quality micro-content that drives macro impact. PodIntelligence turns any number of long-form audio and video into word clouds, keyword and topic driven MP3 and MP4 clips that can be easily analyzed and shared on multiple platforms. Learn more: https://www.podintelligence.com/