Our guest today: Mick Ebling
Mick Ebeling (@MickEbeling) is an American film, television and commercial Executive Producer, author, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Mick has been honored by Advertising Age as one of the “Top 50 Most Creative People”, also in Wired Magazine Agent of Change, and as the recipient of the 2014 Muhammad Ali Humanitarian of the Year Award.
Mick founded Not Impossible Labs (@NotImpossible), a company committed to creating technology for the sake of humanity. Its two best-known projects are Project Daniel and The Eyewriter.
The Eyewriter was created for Tony ‘TEMPT’ Quan, who is a legendary LA graffiti artist, social activist, and publisher who was diagnosed with ALS in 2003. Mick organized a crew of hackers and artists to invent a low-cost, open source DIY device that would let Tempt create art with his eyes. Through trial and error, The Eyewriter was born and Tempt was back to using his creativity.
Project Daniel was for by a Sudanese boy named Daniel, whose arms are blown off during a bombing of his village and is incited to help. Mick illegally travels to the Nuba Mountains to find Daniel, make him a prosthetic arm, and teach the locals about the process as well.
I met Mick at the FutureM Boston in November 2015. His story silenced the entire auditorium and drew tears to my eyes. His message “Commit then figure it out” continues to echo in my mind and influences my decisions in choosing what I work on, people I spend time with.
Help someone today and tell us (@MickEbeling and @feisworld) on Twitter using #HelpOneHelpMany
In our interview, Mick addresses these questions head on:
- Have you ever hit a “low-point” in your career, or during any of the Not Impossible projects?
- What are some of the struggles you’ve experienced, especially at the beginning of establishing the Not Impossible Labs?
- How do you make sure that nothing gets in the way of launching a Not Impossible project?
- How do you see yourself transferring knowledge from your “producer days” to Not Impossible? Is there any overlap?
- What was it like for you to grow up in a nurturing and philanthropic family? What were the important values to your parents that were passed onto you early in life?
- How has Not Impossible influenced you as a parent?
And much, much more…
Best Resources to learn more about Not Impossible:
Official website: http://notimpossible.com/
The blog (stories from others on achieving the Not Impossible): http://www.notimpossiblenow.com/
Photos taken at FutureM Boston 2015:
Lastly, Mick was featured on Microsoft OneDrive (a story well told):
Word Cloud, Keywords and Insights from PodIntelligence
What is PodIntelligence?
PodIntelligence is an AI-driven, plus human-supported service to help podcasters, webinar hosts and filmmakers create high quality micro-content that drives macro impact. PodIntelligence turns any number of long-form audio and video into word clouds, keyword and topic driven MP3 and MP4 clips that can be easily analyzed and shared on multiple platforms. Learn more: https://www.podintelligence.com/