Chris Voss: Playful and Courageous Negotiation
Chris Voss (@VossNegotiation) served as an FBI special agent for 24 years, specializing in international hostage negotiation.
In 2008, Chris founded the Black Swan Group, a business negotiation consulting firm offering services and learning opportunities to "anyone who needs to negotiate, persuade, or influence."
I have struggled with business negotiation for nearly a decade. After reading Chris' book "Never Split the Difference", I was eager to have him as a guest on the show.
"Everything we’ve previously been taught about negotiation is wrong: you are not rational; there is no such thing as ‘fair’; compromise is the worst thing you can do; the real art of negotiation lies in mastering the intricacies of No, not Yes."
Whether you have been told that you are already a good negotiator, or if you find negotiation intimidating and uncomfortable, this episode will help you refine your tactics and break through barriers.
- 5:30 How does Chris Voss create a playful and relaxing atmosphere for teaching negotiation?
- 7:15 Why is it a bad idea to wait for "yes" or "you are right" during a conversation?
- 9:00 "Do you have a few minutes to chat?" turns out to be a terrible pitch when you are trying to get people's attention and respect their time.
- 13:00 Common negotiation mistakes people make but are not aware of.
- 14:45 Difference in negotiation between men and women (and why some answers to this questions could be misleading)
- 19:15: How does Chris encourage people to learn negotiation? (Comfort is the biggest barrier, not complexity)
- 22:00 How can people practice negotiation on a daily basis?
- 27:30 Is it possible to identify and avoid harmful people who are using negotiation strategies for the evil, not the good?
- 30:30 Origin stories: What was Chris like as a 10-year old boy?
- 34:30 Significant changes Chris has noticed when transitioning from a FBI agent, to a professor, to the CEO of his own business.
- 41:30 How did Chris calm himself down during stressful and (often) dangerous situations?
- 47:15 How does Chris "get out of his own way"? (We are often our own worst enemies and obstacles)
- 49:30 People & teachers Chris Voss chooses to follow and learn from
People / Resources Mentioned:
Chris Voss: Talk at Google Headquarters
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave your comment below and share the podcast with your family and friends. Your support will keep us on track and bring many other sung and unsung heroes to this podcast.
If you are on Facebook, let's connect there!
Feisworld Podcast is now available on all major channels including iTunes, Google Play, SoundCloud, Stitcher. (Pending approval from Spodify)