Our Guest Today: Ryan Hilderbrandt
Ryan Hildebrandt teaches other people how to get their first TED Talk.
Most people won’t pitch or promote themselves as speakers if they had no prior experience, or feel as if they don’t have the right connections.
For those of you who have been contemplating about being part of a TED Talk to spread your message, this episode is for you.
Ryan started a brand new TED event in a small town in the UK. Most TED locations are situated in very populated areas, often where universities or companies concentrate. Even then it can be difficult to draw a live audience together. But Ryan worked his “magic” and helped people come together. This is his version of A Thousand True Fans.
Ryan joined me in this conversation from his AirBnB. He had been location independent and traveling around the world for 6 months. If this is also a topic that interests you, listen on.
To learn more about Ryan and to connect with him, visit http://ryanhildebrandt.com/
- [06:00] Tell us a bit more about your life before the activity you are doing today.
- [08:00] For how many years have you been an engineer before getting into TEDx?
- [10:00] How did you get involved in TEDx, what was your motivation?
- [11:00] You started the TEDx event in early 2015. How did this process start?
- [12:00] What was your focus when you were organizing your first event? How did you decide on the name and the theme of the event?
- [14:00] Could you describe the overall process of applying and hosting a TEDx event?
- [16:00] How many people did you have to support you and help out with the organization?
- [17:00] Who did you want to attract as guests/speakers, and who did you end up getting?
- [19:00] How did you eliminate speakers that applied, how was the selection process, and what percentage of speakers finally were selected?
- [20:00] How did you manage to sell out the event? How did you price the ticket?
- [24:00] How did you grow your email list to over 1,000 subscribers?
- [29:00] What was the transition into coaching to apply to speak at TED talks and your ongoing business?
- [35:00] How do you write about your ideas, what have you learned over the years?
- [39:00] Have you achieved your own financial freedom?
- [41:00] Where have you been lately, and how long has it been since you left the UK?
[07:00] Being an engineer, you learn very quickly about the difference between making something that is correct, and something that people actually like, and explaining a very complex to somebody.
[13:00] I wanted to celebrate the fact that to make something is really cool, I wanted to bring those people together, but also recognize that to make something that doesn’t exist it takes a lot of courage…
[21:00] I wanted people to come to the event, and if they have been to some other TEDx event, I wanted them to think that this one is much better. For that, we had to have really good food, a gift card, and filmed in a high-quality event.
[28:00] I realized that, for a TEDx event, people don’t attend because of the speakers or ideas. If it’s only about that, they could watch them on YouTube for free. Most TEDx events are very much focused on that. Instead of that, we focus on the experience. It’s going to be this memorable thing that you’ll cherish for the rest of your life.
[34:00] Marketing a thing that nobody wants is almost impossible, but spreading something that people love and is valuable to people is ten thousand
[46:00] The world is like a TED talk, there are things that appear to be scary. They are not easy, but when you start looking at them, it’s actually not that bad.
Word Cloud, Keywords and Insights From Podintelligence
What is PodIntelligence?
PodIntelligence is an AI-driven, plus human-supported service to help podcasters, webinar hosts and filmmakers create high quality micro-content that drives macro impact. PodIntelligence turns any number of long-form audio and video into word clouds, keyword and topic driven MP3 and MP4 clips that can be easily analyzed and shared on multiple platforms. Learn more: https://www.podintelligence.com/
- Track: LFZ – Popsicle [NCS Release]
- Music provided by NoCopyrightSounds.
- Free Download / Stream: http://ncs.io/PopsicleYO